Saturday, July 7, 2012

Quinn is Two

The baby of the family is two. I have never had a two year old without being pregnant with the next. Someone to fill the growing toddlers shoes... This is different.
When Quinn was born, Isabella used to hold her on the couch all wrapped up in her little three year old arms, and sing 'You are my Sunshine.' It was their song.  I kind of forgot about all of that until about a month ago when mom started teaching the song to Quinn. Afterall, when we were babies, that was our song too (okay, it was Taylor's song, but I'm sure it trickled down the line...).
Quinn became obsessed. She would ask to sing 'Sunshine Away! Sunshine Away!' I wasn't going for a theme for Quinn's little family party this year, but I knew I was going with yellow. Quinn just seems yellow. Then after weeks of her Sunshine Away love, I thought, what better party for Quinn, than a "You are my Sunshine" party.  Something about that song just never gets old. It's short, it's sweet, and it means a lot.  And hearing Quinn's little two year old voice singing it, with emphasis on the happy, gray, dear, I love you, and sunshine away, just makes it all the more sweeter.


We kept it low key and just had my side of the family over for a little sunny celebration. We had celebrated with Ryan's family last weekend at the river so Quinn was already in birthday mode. She woke up to family ready to play and once she got a grasp for what was going on she was full on.




Everyone wore their 'sunniest' attire.

The kids painted sun catchers, we watched a video montage of Quinn over the past two years, ate lots of yellow food, avoided the scorching heat outside, and ate a triple layer ice cream cake and mini banana puddings.



Quinn cracks us up. She and Zoey are a year apart, yet Quinn thinks she is a little baby.  Every time she visits, Quinn gets super excited about Zoey, plops herself on the floor and says "Hold Zoey!"  Yep, not much size difference there (well, Quinn has maybe 10 lbs on her...)






 You can't decifer the layers from this picture, but here they are: graham cracker crust, orange cointreau gelato, vanilla wafers, white chocolate grisby gelato, coconut gelato, homemade whipped cream=delicious!




Birthday present shopping for a third child turning two is hard. There is nothing that she needs, nothing that she wants, and nothing more that we need in this house. After searching for something 'original' and coming up with nothing, we were in Harrisonburg last week and went to Ten Thousand Villages. I love the idea of the store, I love what their mission statement is and there is no denying that I love everything there. Mom had picked up this handmade, sweet doll with a sling and baby attached to her back and after the clay ladybug whistle that I had to get for Quinn, I knew that was the gift for her. She mostly loves the little baby that is on the mommy's back and she talks to it in a very high pitched 'small baby' voice.  Quinn loves her babies.



                                                   She's looking for that little baby again.

       And a bigger baby from Aunt Gen to fit in her new highchair from Mia. She's in babydoll heaven.

I absolutely love this.

 You know that Awkward Family Photos Blog? Please, no one submit this.  And Ryan, what are you doing?




22 Things About You at 2

1. You think you are three.
2. You love to do puzzles.  After completing one, you say "More! Again!" and I'm not sure you would ever stop.
3. Every night before bed, you ask to nurse (for the thousandth time) and I say "Look at me, Quinn." You look and I say "I love you so much." And you say "Thank you, mommy. Love you too." And I melt into a big soggy puddle.
4. You sing when you get tired.
5. You are the most repetitive child I have ever met. You repeat things incessantly until you are acknowledged or you get what you are requesting.
6. You are not afraid of the water and swimming is one of your favorite things to do.
7. You have a new found love for books and reading. You listen and turn pages and repeat, and it's awesome.
8. You can count to seven without mistakes.
9. You say "kiss and a hug!" to people when they are leaving.
10. You and daddy like to 'check on the chickens' and you love to give them food.
11. Requesting shoes is your new thing (pretty sure you learned that from your sister). You tell me if you want your 'flower shoes,' your 'keens,' or 'Bella's shoes' or sometimes if you recognize some hand-me-downs, 'Eleanor's shoes.'
12. You nurse your baby dolls, your crackers, plastic bottles or anything else that appears to need nursing at any given time.
13. You love to sit on the potty, but not the little one, the big one.
14. If you have a diaper on, you must also have pants on. Otherwise, diaper comes off.
15. Some nights you sleep half of the night in your crib by our bed. Other nights you sleep beside me, holding on to my arm.
16. When you wake up, you are very happy.
17. I'm not sure what your favorite food is.  Eating is still not your preference. Nursing is still your preference.
18. You love ice cream.
19. Your brother and sister love you. You all have your moments, but they love taking care of you and love, love, love, when you let them take care of you.
20. You still twirl your hair when you are tired or when you are going to sleep.  I have had to cut two very stubborn knots out of your hair.
21. Your facial expressions are the absolute best. Seriously, the best. Even when your two your old self rolls your eyes in the correct context.
22. Our lives are better because of your life. You will always be my special girl and I love you so incredibly much.  You are a dream, Quinn.

No comments:

Post a Comment