Monday, October 15, 2012

Catch Up

It's 7:20pm on a Monday night. All three kids are asleep and Ryan's not even home from work yet. I do believe this miracle warrants a blog post.

Fall is in full swing and we are loving the cool weather, the beautiful leaves, and all of the fun weekend activities.  Last weekend my cousin Josh, got married at the Frontier Culture Museum. It was a rainy, cool day but wedding happiness and lots of mums can trump a rainy day.





The kids had a blast, running around like....kids, dancing, hugging, playing and laughing.  I remember growing up with Josh and Heather, visiting them in New York, creating music videos (New Kids on The Block, baby) and performing for the adults, playing with all of the farm animals and trying to copy everything my "super cool" teenage cousin did. We never lived close to any of our many cousins growing up, but our parents made a point to keep us connected and we always saw each other multiple times a year. And when you're making up music videos and lip syncing to NKOTB, you're always able to pick up where you left off.







Declan, Abbey, Eleanor, and Quinn have been enjoying preschool and having each other to play with twice a week. Declan's interest in learning has exploded since Isabella started school. He tries so hard to write his name, wants desparately to recognize words like she does, and is perfecting his drawing and coloring skills. Quinn emulates everything that anyone older than her does. She has memorized one of Isabella's short books from school just from being completely mesmerized when Isabella reads it every night.


Quinn will love me one day for this:
 

On the potty training front, we're doing mediocre. The excitement and desire to be like her big brother and sister has waned and now if bug hunting, using scissors, or something equally exciting is going on, the toilet is the furthest from her mind. Who can blame the girl? 


She is also completely and utterly in love with babies. Unfortunately for Piper, she's the only baby around here.  Although Zoey, who is almost as big as Quinn, is still a baby in her book. When Piper is around, nothing else matters. Quinn gets that high pitched baby talk voice going on and there's no tearing her away.


Our house was under contract, now it's not. I've been having crazy recurring dreams about living here so maybe I should figure that out. Acitivity has been pretty dead, so we're just hanging out. No marathon cleaning, mowing, weed-wacking, mopping sessions, so that's been nice.

On that note, Isabella decided last week that she officially loves school. One day she told me to ask her what she loved about school. I did, and she said "everything!" When her school had a teacher work day last week she said that it wasn't sad that her teacher had to work because she was lucky to be at school! She's been waking up in the mornings, asking if it's a school day and then being happy when I say yes. She loves the playground, she loves her friends and her teacher and I can finally relate to her feelings. I never hated school or dreaded it so I wasn't really relating to those feelings that she had been having up to the point. Empathizing, for sure, but now I can understand. She comes out to the pick up line with a huge smile on her face, tells us all about her day, wants to do homework as soon as she walks in the door (and then more...and more...and now Ryan has "created" homework for her). I love this happiness that I am seeing in her.

I guess this whole 'growing up' thing is what pulls me away from here. I need to be better about documenting our every day...feelings, thoughts, emotions, and activities. It's harder to find time for anything other than the usual, these days. I do try to make these precious moments count though. These kids have elephant brains now and I am amazed every day at the things they remember from months ago.
Most days, I wish I had their memory...

No comments:

Post a Comment