Sunday, November 18, 2012

The next step

I've come to the realization that I don't like change. The change that comes with growing up, is the hardest. As we've spent the last couple of weeks packing up boxes and thereby sorting an over-abundance of toys, clothes, cloth diapers, shoes, and did I mention, toys? it's been hard. Although there aren't solid plans that we are finished having kids, we have definitly moved past babyhood in this house and that's hard.  Packing away cloth wipes and diapers, wipe warmers, changing table covers, crib sheets, and onesies just gives me a little pang. I love where we are. Our kids make me laugh at the drop of a hat and their comaraderie is the best part of these ages. They have (finally) become independent from us and dependent on each other. They play make believe, have dance parties, play school, play house, make crafts and read books all on their own. This stage is amazing. Change is hard, but it is also so, so good.


Isabella has really missed going to the library since she's been in school. It has been a part of our routine since she was just a toddler and she reminds me often that she misses it. Last week she begged to go each day after school, so Thursday afternoon we headed to the library.  She scouted out all of her "sections," including but not limited to: the Disney section, the animal section, the "chapter books," the I can read books, and the ballerina books. Declan parked himself in the one and only section he ever visits. One day there may be a chair in his name residing in the non-fiction animal section. He is dedicated to those six shelves and when he's there, it's hard to find a place around him to step. He usually has about 25 books surrounding his legs before I can even get my bearings. He confidently asks the librarian to help him find certain books that he's unable to find and he recruits his sisters to scout out any books pertaining to his "interest of the week."




And the best library trip is usually followed up with the library playground. These shy kids love the library playground because it's usually empty. When we do visit a playground it usually takes the kids a good thirty minutes to warm up enough to even start playing. They are so hesitant around new people or a lot of kids. This playground though, it was wide open.





It was a big week for Isabella. She had her school "Thanksgiving Lunch" and her end of the semester ballet performance. She was excited to get two family friendly events in one week and it definitly helps to have exciting things to look forward to during morning pre-school jitters!
Ryan and I took Quinn and Declan to lunch with Isabella. More than having us there, she was beyond excited that she got to buy school lunch that day. She's asked a few times and I bite my tongue and just tell her that we will pack, but this day, since it was a special Thanksgiving lunch, she got to buy. I was hoping that, by the looks of her un-eaten tray, she would realize that packing would be prefered, but she still asked to buy again the next day...I just reiterated the excitement of her healthy lunch (that I know she will eat) and sent her on her way with her lunch box.


Isabella's ballet class practiced a little routine to perform for family as the wrap up of their fall session. She did a great job considering they were all standing feet away from a line of families. And at the end, they were surprised by The Sugar Plum Fairy from the Nutcracker, who did a dance for them. Isabella was in awe and has since stepped up her ballet practice. The ballet leotards and shoes are in constant wardrobe rotation around here and Yo-Yo Ma is stuck in the CD player on repeat. These kids love, love, love to dance.







The next two weeks will be very full. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, and a closing right around the next corner, we have loads more to pack up and move and lots of food to cook.  I check in with myself often (at least ten times a day...) to remind myself why we're doing this and how it is the best decision for us right now. We have yet to find our next home and the unknown can be frightening. Having three little ones who are simply excited for change no matter what it may be, help keep things in perspective. I am excited for new prospects and they are excited to stay at grandma's! I am ready for a relaxing holiday season that I am commited to making relaxing. I am ready for crafting, baking, gifting, and Christmas music. And they are always ready to dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment