Friday, July 5, 2013

Thirty-six months

All three of my births are occasions that I remember vividly and deeply. I replay them often enough to keep the memories fresh and now that the kids are a little older, the stories of how they slipped into this world are their favorites. We re-count them many nights as those birth stories have replaced The Three Little Pigs and Jack and the Beanstalk. Isabella prefers to hear about the hours we spent walking, how we quickly decided on her middle name and how there were so many people in the room to see her born. Declan loves to hear how Genivieve held my hand and how he pushed his little head into my spine for fourteen hours (he laughs hysterically at that part). He likes when I tell him about his purple forehead and how Isabella came in to nurse only minutes after he did (she likes that part too). Quinn's most favorite part of her story is how daddy let Mia cut her cord. Then the other kids get super jealous and usually someone cries because Mia didn't cut their cord. Then we remind them how special they are because daddy cut theirs. I have my favorite parts too. And each one is the time that I pulled their wet little bodies to my chest and looked at their faces for the first time. Those moments were three of many times that I fell in love with them. But when it's all over, the hours and hours of laboring and waiting. Pushing and crying and laughing and falling asleep for seconds just because you had to...those first seconds when you look at your baby's face. I will never forget what that felt like.



Quinn is our baby. Regardless of whether or not another baby will come again, I feel like Quinn will always be our baby. She's been the youngest for longer than the other two were and everyone just kind of protects her. The day that Quinn was born was what I had dreamed about for as long as I'd dreamed about having my own baby one day. I was at home with the people I love. Our other two kids, fast asleep just upstairs (just kidding. that sounds good but they were up and down all night and pretty much up for the day by 3am...) But seriously, it was just how I wanted it. I had a tub to labor in, I had a big bed to rest in, I had space to walk, I had the outdoors to get air. I was free. And twelve hours into my labor with Quinn, I was sitting in bed, my family around me, twizzlers being shoved in my mouth by Declan and Quinn right there in my arms (just kidding again. She was most definitely in Isabella's arms). Perfection.



She is perfection.

Thirty six months she's been here with us. And thirty six things that she loves and that we love--about Quinn.

Dear Quinn,
In the past few months, here are thirty six things that you love to do, say, wear, eat, play and be.  We love you so, so much.

1. Ballet
2. "Being Fancy." Shorts and shirts are pretty much not allowed because then you "aren't fancy." You are a three year old that loves her dresses.
3. Catching bugs
4. Eating. You stopped nursing about a month ago and that's when you finally decided that eating was a good thing. Now you are just about even with your brother...
5. Playing in the pool
6. Singing, preferably, as you say "Ceiling can't hold us!!"
7. The library
8. Books. Pretty sure you would sit and read all day long.
9. Watching videos of yourself
10. Talking. Non-stop.
11. Being held and carried. You pretty much haven't changed in that regard.
12. Putting your hair in a "biiiiiiiiig ponytail!" And then being disappointed that it's not longer
13. Playing in the dirt
14. Swinging. High.
15. Calling daddy "Da-Da" just so he will call you "Quinn-Quinn."
16. Playing the "I love you more..." game
17. Talking to people on the phone
18. Chocolate
19. Pasta
20. Lollipops
21. Asking me when you get to go to school
22. Wearing your backpack around the house as long as you are awake and mobile.
23. Waking up with a sly grin and in a great mood no matter what
24. Telling stories, always beginning with "One time, a long, loooooooooooong time ago."
25. Pretending that all of your dolls as well as yourself, are Ms. Shonda, your ballet teacher
26. Watching the Lorax and McKenna...showing your diverse interest in cinema
27. Wearing flip-flops
28. Falling down a lot
29. Changing your clothes no less than five times a day. Pretty much every time you go to the bathroom.
30. Kombucha
31. Asking for Kombucha every time you smell vinegar
32. Drinking vinegar
33. Chasing your brother and sister around the yard
34. Cuddling and playing with my hair as you wrap your arms tight around my neck
35. Being awesome and hilarious
36. Reciting your favorite ballerina books by heart

Wow, I thought that was going to be hard and I just typed "37." I could keep going, but essentially Quinn, you amaze us every day and we are beyond grateful for the joy you bring to our lives.

Three years ago Isabella and Declan got a baby sister, Ryan and I had our third child and fell in love once again. Three years has gone by way too fast.
Three years.









No comments:

Post a Comment