Yesterday, we had nothing on the itenerary (that Isabella creates) so I decided it would be a good day to empty our entire bedroom closet and then re-organize before putting it back together.
See, the problem is, we don't have dressers. Our kids have dressers, we do not. In the old house, we used a dresser that Ryan's mom had loaned us. It just never seemed to be a priority. When we moved into this house, we had a big walk-in closet, with lots of built in shelving and hanging space, so again, a dresser wasn't a priority. Dressers have now become a priority. I am so tired of matchless socks falling all over the place, t-shirts piling up miles high, and jeans that mix with yoga pants that mix with things too big, too small...you get the picture. So the emptying of the closet was easy. Seeing the contents all over my bedroom, not so easy. And as is everything I do, I only stopped and started about 89 times. Because kids need to eat, nurse, swing, nap, eat, nurse, argue, steal things from eachother, chew on random toys, eat, nurse, nap......only about every 15 minutes.
Needless to say, the closet is great. My bedroom floor is still not up to par, but I continue to use my best excuse. The tupperwares are WAY too heavy for me to carry to the attic. So I'm waiting on Ryan...
All this organization had me thinking: where are my clothes? Ryan's side far exceeds mine, and I think that's weird. I feel like I should have more clothes than him. Yes, he has work clothes, and he is a hoarder, but still. My summer clothes cease to exist. And then in dawned on me! Last summer, I was very pregnant so I was wearing maternity clothes. The summer before that I was nursing two kids and reaping the benefits-AKA I had lost a lot of weight. The summer before that, I was pregnant so maternity clothes again. The summer before that, I had just had a baby. The summer before that I was pregnant. This is the speech I will give Ryan momentarily, when I inform him that I desperately need to go shopping. I'm sure he'd rather see me in something other than yoga pants and nursing shirts, right?
It was a long day. We also had friends over for dinner last night to celebrate their new pregnancy. Another lesson learned: Do not tell Declan that anyone is coming over until seconds before they arrive. He parked himself at our bedroom window, blinds pulled up, window wide open, for excessive periods of time to call out "CHADDDDD and MELISSSSSAAAA are you coming???????" All Day Long.
Sometimes you have to just stop....and play in the water.
And you have to eat, right? With Declan in the kitchen, it only takes, on average, three times as long....
Quinn waves 'hi' now, blows kisses, and says 'hi!'
Isabella was trying to be a good helper. Entertaining the kids while I organized.
She sure didn't get that hair from me...we may have a curly headed babe after all.
Today Eleanor came over to play. Today I experienced what it would be like to have four kids, for a hot second. Wow, I would be way more tired than I am now! The kids had fun playing outside, riding bikes, swinging, sliding, and trying to perfect the perfect hula hooping. I'm not sure how I ever did that...Maybe this weekend it will rain, and we will all have an excuse to stay inside and rest.
Oh yeah, I forgot that my kids detest rest.
Darn.
This post has taken me two days to write. Yesterday, I sat down will full intentions of writing. Blogger did not have full intentions of working. All day.
So tonight, I tried again. Blogger decided to work. My kids did not. Everyone decided today was a good day for skipping afternoon naps. I nursed Quinn at 6:30 and she fell asleep. I am not naive. I knew she would be up in a couple of hours, but whatever. I walked out to the den where Declan was zonked out on the couch. At 6:30. Not good. I held him for a bit to make sure he was good and asleep, and then moved him to his crib. He was out like a light. Then I went back downstairs and Ryan, Isabella and I were sitting on the couch. Isabella asked if Declan was getting up soon, and I said no. She said "OH YEAH! I love it when it's just me, you, and daddy. I'm not going to sleep now!" Awesome.
At about 8:00, we hear Declan crying and yelling 'daaaddddy, daddddyyy.' This was not looking good. Just as Ryan was saying "let's leave him for a minute and see if he goes back to sleep" and I was saying "you should go check on him," we hear a thud, little feet scampering across the floor, very loud crying, and calling for daddy. No sooner did we hear the thud, Ryan was running up the stairs to meet our sad little boy who climbed out of his crib for the first time ever. Side note--Declan is 2 1/2 and still sleeping in a crib. But he co-slept for two solid years. Moving him to the crib at 2, was hard work. Really hard. And we are not messing with a good thing. He's comfortable in there, Ryan and I don't have to worry at all, he is calm when he wakes up, and it has been perfect. We figured, when he turns three, we'll put him in a full bed and that will be that. So, back to tonight. Ryan held him while he cried and then he wanted me, so I held him on the couch where he immediatly passed out. No sooner did he fall back asleep, Quinn was wailing, probably ready to nurse again. Ryan got her, I laid Declan down in my bed, and Quinn decided that her two hours of sleep was merrily a nap, not in fact bedtime. Declan woke up again, hysterical. I laid down with him in the bed and Isabella joined us, and they both fell asleep. Quinn pretended she was an only child for the next hour and a half and then fell back asleep. Right now, this is what our bed looks like:
And if you're wondering what we've decided to do about the above situation....absolutely nothing (well, I do have full intentions of squeezing in there--somewhere.) No one's moving a muscle. Except Ryan. But really, he's the lucky one. A full night sleep all alone in bed without a four year old crawling over you at 4am, and a 10 month old whimpering to nurse and cuddle. Isabella's bed is looking pretty good to me.....
But he's waking up at 6am to go fishing, so we're good just the way we are.
No comments:
Post a Comment