Today was a gloomy day. Isabella was, of course, beyond excited that it was ballet day. Once again, her little body refused to settle until 5pm when we walked into ballet class. She laid there for her 'nap,' tossing and turning, unable to relax. Girl has ballet on the brain. It was just the two of us this evening. Kate stayed at our house with Quinn and Declan. On the way, Isabella said "Mommy, I like it when it's just us." I told her that I did too and that it was fun to just be us. It's rarely just us. I asked her why she thought it would be fun and she said "because now Declan won't try to come in my ballet class." Not that that's happened, but just in case.
Quinn's new thing is shoes and hair ties. She brings me shoes and puts her chubby little feet up until I put them on her. Then she clomps joyfully around the house until she decides she's finished. She also brings me hairties. If Isabella isn't in the midst of having her hair fixed, she passes me the tie and puts her wrist up wanting to wear it as a bracelet. Today, Isabella wanted a ponytail, Declan wanted a ponytail, and now Quinn. Someone takes after their siblings...shoes and hair. Tomorrow she'll be bringing me dresses.
Kate's responsible for this 'do.'
Late Saturday morning, mom, Kelly, the kids and I headed up to the Harrisonburg Farmer's market. I left Ryan and his football to his own devices. It's usually better that way...
Declan was fascinated by this man who was turning pottery on his wheel.
It was hotter than hot, but this little bug wanted to sleep. So sleep she did. All nice and sweaty...
All kids in the wagon, lasted about-um...10 feet, maybe.
There was a short time in my life when I wanted his job. Nostalgia.
He held tight to his clay.
On that hot day, this delicious homemade ice-cream was necessary. Very necessary.
And Miss Quinn woke just in time to do a little jig in the parking lot, suck down some fresh concord grapes, and try to steal Eleanor's pink balloon.
Saturday evening we went to the river at Ryan's parent's for a cookout/birthday celebration. The kids had so much fun exploring the river which led to wading in the river and resulted in swimming in the river. Ryan, his uncle, and cousin waded down the river fishing and the kids ran to their hearts content. It was a good day.
Swinging and twirling...what more does a four year old need?
Isabella wants to play catch, Quinn loves the balls that go to ladderball, and Declan told us he was 'laying a green egg.'
Second cousins, Quinn and Joshua. Someone's getting in some big brother practice!
On Sunday I procrastinated with that whole "paint the upstairs hallway project." I cut in, which took awhile since there are eight-thousand doors in our upstairs hallway. Then I quit. And now our upstairs looks even more awesome than it did before....
On Labor Day, Taylor and I played a huge prank on Ryan which lasted throughout the morning and was the entertainment of my year. But that deserves it's own post.
We just hung out on a rainy, dreary day. Made pizza, had mom, Taylor, Kelly, and Eleanor over and let the kids use up all their energy on the front deck. We let Ryan use up all of his energy riding the kids around on the bike during a break in the rain.
Declan was waiting for his turn to ride the bike and when Ryan returned with Isabella, he told him that it was Quinn's turn. I told Ryan that Quinn didn't care and he could go ahead and take Declan. Quinn came pushing through the kids, stood confidently at the steps, arms raised, grunting her little heart out. She wasn't missing her turn. And her face when Ryan strapped her in. Priceless. The girl is happy on a bike!
So our Labor Day weekend was filled with family, relaxation, rain, bike-rides, cooking...and all as it should be.
Heaven-right there.

No comments:
Post a Comment