Last night, I slept for six hours. I didn't wake up. I may have rolled over a few times, wondered if it was a dream, but I pretty much slept for a solid six hours. Sadly, I'm pretty sure this hasn't happened in five years. Quinn slept until 6:30, Isabella until 7, and Declan until 8. All in their own beds, all without waking, all without fussing, crying, or wanting to nurse. We all slept. Can I just say that six uninterrupted hours, feels really good. I'm a fan. I hope they were too.
It's still a ways off, but the topic of school is a daily conversation in our house. She still wants to go. I am still not sure. I thought I was sure. Now, I'm not. The other day, on the way home from my mom's, we drove by the school that she "would" go to so I could time how far it is from our house. As I pulled into the parking lot, ready to set my timer, Isabella said "where are we, mommy? Is this school?" I told her that it was and that if we didn't homeschool, it would be the school she'd go too. She got pretty excited and said "I'm sure I want to go here mommy. Let's go now. I'm ready." We sat in the parking lot (maybe we looked creepy just hanging out in the front of the elementary school parking lot at 2pm on a Wednesday...) and she asked about the doors, where they led, what she'd do and how she'd feel. She's confident that she will feel fine. Me on the other hand, I'm a hot mess about it. I drove away as my eyes started burning, just imagining dropping her off at school. The reasons that we are considering homeschooling don't begin at 'my eyes burn and my heart deflates when I imagine leaving her there.' But my mind does of course, go there. My list is longer than that, more all-encompassing than that. But it's that that weighs on my mind. There is so much to think about, so much to talk about, and right now, I'm happy she's here.
BUT, the other morning, my mom was picking Isabella up for a date. They were going to the Darjeeling Cafe to have 'tea' and then had a day jam packed with more fun things. Isabella was beyond excited about her alone time. She was dressed and ready (and oddly cooperative about her clothes...) a full hour before it was time to leave. We have home videos of Gen and I pacing the floor of our house in the woods, waiting, waiting, for the school bus. Backpacks on, hair clips perfectly in place, asking over and over when it would be time. Oh the flashback that my girl evoked. Backpack on, blanket in hand (just in case she missed me--her words), and a smile that could not be replaced. She is the best.
She fixed everyone breakfast the other morning in her pig pan with her pig spatula. She got the set for Christmas, from grandma and hadn't had the chance to use it. I'm pretty sure it's a pancake pan, but pancakes weren't on the menu. So we made it work. Rather, she made it work. Two eggs in a nest for her and daddy, just the nest for Declan, and the egg for Quinn. She didn't sit down to eat until everyone's breakfast was complete, and then she quickly hopped up after finishing, and made herself a second.
How adorable that she is so ready for school, Jess. That is really cute! But wow...they definitely grow up fast. Good luck with the decision!
ReplyDelete