She has taken this whole 'turning five' gig very seriously. Isabella is sure of a lot of things that 'five year olds do.' One, is sitting on the deck reading a book and drinking iced coffee.
For the record, she's not really drinking iced coffer per se. Although she is drinking a drop of coffee with a whole lot of milk. And that makes her feel pretty special too.
During the week that this girl turned five, she was very busy. Ballerina party, ear peircing, birthday celebrating, and her first ballet recital. Oh, and along with that--wearing make-up. I dreaded that part. See, if you give this girl an inch, she'll take a mile. Especially when it comes to doing 'grown up' things. So when we were directed to do 'a little mascara, some blush, and red lipstick,' I was already preparing myself for the following mornings when she would request make up as part of her getting dressed routine. None of that happened, of course, and when recital day came, she was the most excited I have seen her in...well, since a few days prior when she did all of those other fun five year old things!
We had to drop her off an hour before hand, and her section of the show wasn't until the very end, so that was two hours with the other kids, back stage and it was a big-time first for us. She did great and I know that her concept of time isn't what mine is, but by the time her show was over and she came running out, I could see her little shoulders relax and her smile told me that she was so proud and so happy to have her family waiting for her.
I also found out, long after the show was over and we were almost home, that she did have a little episode back stage. I could tell she was acting 'off' on the way home and I kept asking her what they did while they waited for their part and she continued to not respond. Finally, much later, with tears in her eyes she told me that she got pinched by another little girl. I asked her what happened and she told me that she had accidentally bumped the girls bun with her elbow when they were sitting on the blanket and that the little girl made a face at her and then pinched her. She re-played the whole ordeal as my heart ached for her. I realize that we have made choices that have prevented our kids from being in organized settings away from us or other family. This was Isabella's first experience on her own for an extended period of time. I was so proud of her for dealing with the situation with the maturity that she continues to exude, but I couldn't help but be sad for her and for not being able to comfort her in a stressful time. But I also had a lengthy conversation with myself about these feelings later (and yes, that sounds weird...but it works). This is part of the whole growing up story. This isolated incident is the beginning of a whole lot more. More hurt feelings, more broken hearts, and more of her learning how to deal, how to communicate, and how to grow. She's doing it all right so I have no complaints and can not wish any more for her. No one likes to see their kids hurting, and it is almost harder to try and imagine the things to come. But it happened, it opened a whole new door for me and for her and all that we are about to embark upon.
Cirque de Ballet was the show and Isabella was popcorn. And 'POP,' she did!
The kids loved watching the show, seeing all of the different costumes and anticipating Isabella's performance. Ironically Quinn sat better through the ballet than she does for a 5 minutes cartoon clip. She actually loved it.
Declan was very eager to give his sister her flowers and he was also pretty concerned that she was backstage all that time 'by herself.' "You sure she's okay, mommy?" Sweet, sweet boy.
Mimi and Grandpaw got to enjoy the show as well and got some big congratulatory hugs afterward!
And this all went right through the middle of nap time, so by 3pm as the show was wrapping up, this girl was too.
I remember last year at this time, when Isabella was desperate to start ballet. She had an idea of what it would be like and she had big dreams of what she would do. And here we are, one year later and she has done it. Ballet is definitly on her schedule now as it is something she is definitly not ready to give up. She actually just this morning asked when she was getting pointe shoes...
No comments:
Post a Comment