Sunday, March 10, 2013

The order

Birth order is so interesting. When Isabella was born the sun rose and set by her. I feel like we spent seventeen months just sitting around waiting for her next move, her next step, her next word, her next anything. Everything she did amazed us and we called her our 'zen baby.'  Then Declan was born and the two have them have seemed to grow up together rather than him in her footsteps. They were essentially babies together and not until this year when she started kindergarten, has there really been a separation. A different Declan has emerged as he's come into his own. And then less than two years behind him, was Quinn. This is where birth order really started to become apparent, especially in the past few months.




Quinn's a girl of many facets. She's hilarious, she's goofy and likes for you to laugh at her, she's sly, she's sweet and cuddly, she loves to nurse and she doesn't let me forget it. She loves to copy Isabella and Declan. I am the third child as well. I see so much of myself in my own third child. The story goes that as soon as my older brother and sister headed off to school I was desparate to follow. The next year I was ready, so I followed. I see so much of this in Quinn already. She begs to do what the others do. She will sit and read a mile high pile of books sounding strangely exactly like her sister. She practices writing her letters, making shapes and faces, and trying to keep up with Declan and all of his explorations. She isn't afraid of anything...anything (unless it involves Ryan trying to keep her from me when attempting to do something with Isabella or Declan...she's definitly afraid of missing something).
She wants to be big and gets frustrated when she can't get it just right. Much like Isabella. But she tries and is so determined, much like Isabella. She can get down with digging in the mud and drags her stool from the bathroom any time she sees me approach a kitchen counter. Much like Declan. She wants to be in the midst of it all, much like Declan.



She has a strong will and she is a happy girl. She starts ballet this week and it's all she talks about. This morning, it was just her and me as we drove into Staunton. As soon as we hit the first block of downtown, she said "Mommy! You taking me to ballet now! I love Ms Shonda!" I burst her bubble and told her no, that she had five more days. She said "I so excited about ballet.  I going to wear my soft clothes with long sleeves and my ballet shoes." I always thought I would keep my kids out of organized activities for as long as possible. I didn't feel like it was necessary and believed they'd be fine without it and fine with it once they started asking on their own. Isabella wanted to take ballet when she was 4.5. I thought she was old enough and so we began. She fell in love and we haven't stopped yet. The other weekend we found ourselves signing Declan up for soccer (What?!) and a week later, Quinn for ballet. Once again, that birth order thing.

We finally had snow. It only took all winter, but it came. The kids were beyond excited when they woke up to a snow covered ground that was already well past their knees. They dressed as quickly as they could and attempted to play, mostly fell, and loved every second of it. Except Quinn. She prefered to not have her face planted in snow, so she stood under the deck and kept tabs on the fun.
The next day we headed over to Cathy's to go sledding. Again, they had a blast, loved going down the hill and over the ramp that Ryan insisted on building and then on to building an igloo fit for a....well, a bunch of kids.





 As demonstrated by her face: Her one and only sledding experience in her short 2.5 yr life.

 This one on the other hand. I'm keeping her on a leash when she turns fifteen.





Isabella enjoyed a nice five day weekend! we were all even happier today when we awoke to 60 degree temps and drying ground.  These kids (and grown-ups) are so beyond ready for Spring.
Ryan bought a slack line and set it up this afternoon. Ever since the Outdoor Festival last October, Ryan has been determined to find a slack line and make crazy balancing children out of them. They loved it still and Isabella has promised herself that she'll be running across that thing by summer. Ryan may have been in on that as well...



                                                     Her "this is a piece of cake" face.

 Ryan tried to teach them that they would balance better if they weren't thinking about it. Her mantra became "Look at the tree. I'm just walking to the store. There's no line below me. Just walking to the store." I bet she'll be saying that in her sleep tonight.

 Oh, Declan. He quickly ditched the slack line and coerced Mia into making him a secret play area in the lilac bush with bags of rocks that they bought together last summer. That and a basket of dinosaurs along with some clippers so he could 'make a path' became all he needed.


 We are excited to get into our house and get to work. The kids have already claimed their jobs, continue to yell "HI HOUSE!" as we drive past everyday, and (I think) are ready to be reunited with belongings that they've long forgotten.
Spring will be a busy time. Our oldest turns six and typing that out just seems so strange. Six. She's moved from one hand to two. She's about to lose another tooth, is headed towards being a first grader and I still can't believe that we have (an almost) six year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment