Monday, April 11, 2011

Teachers

I think I was given each of my children for a reason. They are each meant to teach me something....about life, about myself, about love.
So when I think about what they have taught me in the past 4 years, 2 1/2 years, and 9 months, it's overwhelming. 

Isabella, what have you taught me? Hmmm...
Empathy. Sleep is overated. Be careful what I say, do, look like, think, etc. because you are always watching. Sky blue eyes are beautiful. What a mother's love truly is.  Sleep is really overated. There is always time to dance.  Learning everything for the first time is special and amazing and beautiful. How to be a mom.  To take a step back sometimes.  How emotions can be written all over someone's face.  Sleep is overated...there's time for that later.  True, unconditional, insanely wonderful, love.



Declan, what have you taught me? Hmmm...
Adoration. Tight hugs around the neck make lots of things better. Patience. How to build arm muscles.  How to cook slowly, methodically, and slowly. Patience.  How to deal with a stubborn person.  There can never be enough kisses---smack on the lips! Pizza can be for every meal. Crying is theraputic. Admiration for every little bug out there in the world.  How to love a little boy.  To laugh in the midst of chaos.  Patience....thanks for teaching me, although it doesn't really appear that you know what it means.... True, unconditional, insanely wonderful, love.



Quinn, what have you taught me? Hmmm...
Peace. Intuition.  To enjoy every single second of babyhood. How to lay a baby down, and walk away. How quickly life can change.  How to love a third, just as much, but so differently. Contentment and patience. True, unconditional, insanely wonderful love.



My family has taught me more about myself, than I've ever been forced to recognize.  The good, and the bad.  They've taught me to assess my words, my actions, my feelings. To truly look inside and see myself through a child's eyes.  I have memories from when I was three. I suddenly realized this the other day and started to panic.  Because that means, Isabella and soon, Declan, will remember life at this point.  They may remember a really good day. And they may remember a really bad one.  I have to make these moments count.  We're making memories here, and creating members of society that will one day mother or father a child and begin memories of their own.
Just another Sunday morning...

Declan is the resident "clean up after daddy" guy. He loves hanging out in the chicken coop!

We found some pretty trees at the park!

Quinn's infamous scrunch face. When Isabella was a baby, we would say "Isabella, make a funny face." And she would make this exact face. Quinn, just likes to make it no matter what we say.

She's loving the outdoors. And doesn't (most of the time) put dirt and leaves in her mouth!

Loving those two front teeth. Relief. For now.

Now she willingly lets go to stand alone.

Isabella is into racing. I taught her how to "get ready, get set..." And here, she's teaching Declan.

Victory dance. They both won the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment