Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chemical overload

There are scary things that happen every day. Things that happen to our friends, our family members, strangers, our kids....
Some we can avoid. Unfortunately, some we can not.
Diaper wipes are scary. Did you know that?  That's something we can avoid. 
So, I've been perusing the Skin Deep Cosmetics database, and something that I use every day, on all of my kids, got a high rating of 8.  The information is endless. So are the chemicals.  I know this about hair care products, body wash, lotion, baby powder, baby oil and diapers.  All of the things we use every day. And I've made as many safe adjustments as I can.  But I didn't really think about diaper wipes.  Every so often, since Isabella's been born, I've made the switch over and started making my own wipe solution and used cut up receiving blankets and baby washclothes as wipes.  Then I just throw them in with the cloth diaper laundry. No big deal. But inevitably, I get busy or distracted. I buy a case of diaper wipes and we go through them like crazy. 
But no more.  Not only can I eliminate the abundant amount of waste they create. But it's one more (or a lot more actually) chemical that I can keep off of my kid's skin and out of their system. 
So here's my new system. And I like it.  And it smells really, really, good. 
I bought three packs of baby washclothes (the thin ones), so I got about 24 wipes. Good enough to last me through about two rounds of cloth diaper laundry...so, plenty.  I already had a bottle of sweet almond oil and a bottle of tea tree oil.  The only other thing I had to buy was a small bottle (about $4) of Dr. Bronner's castile soap (peppermint...hence why is smells SO good.  I mixed up a batch in a ball jar (1 T. oil, 1 T castile soap, 2 drops tea tree oil, and 1 c. warm water), shook it up, and added enough to my wipe warmer to just wet the wipes.  I only put enough wipes and solution to last me about 2 days because I don't want the water to get musty.  The tea tree oil is antimicrobial and antibacterial (among other things), the soap is well, soap-it cleans, the oil just keep everything wiping "smoothly" and is moisturizing, and the water just dilutes it all.  I know that I already had most of the ingredients, but even if I had to buy everything new, I would have spent about $25 on supplies and the ingredients will far outlast the $30 box of wipes at Costco.  So you should try it.  Better for baby, better for earth, just better.

No comments:

Post a Comment