Sunday, October 23, 2011

It's the little things (part 1)

So, I'm into "part 1" and "part 2" lately, it seems.  The problem is, pictures overwhelm me.  For example, I just put my SD card into the computer and it read "188 picture are uploading."  Those pictures are from today.  That means that Friday's pictures from Kate's birthday, and Saturday's pictures from the 5K, are still on another card sitting at my mom's house.  And all that means one thing to me: overwhelmed.  I'm so dramatic, I know, I know.
And not only is this going to be a "part 1, part 2" kind of thing, but it will also be backwards because like I said, my other camera card is at my mom's house. 
We had a very busy weekend. The kind of busy where I lay here at 11:30pm and can't believe that it's Sunday night.  Weekends are way too short.

It's the little things:

Declan loves to "work." Whether it be in the kitchen, in the yard, in the playroom. Give him a job and it's a sure fire way to keep him calm and focused....for a very long time.  While we were getting ready to go out to dinner for Kate's birthday, Declan and Isabella decided to "rake" Mia's leaves and surprise her.  This all consisted of a lot of leaf rearranging and not a whole lot of actual raking into piles.  They thought they were doing her a huge favor...




Can you imagine if adults got as excited about birthdays as kids did? I mean, picture a thirty year old, jumping up and down as the birthday girl crosses the parking lots, screaming "happy birthday, happy birthday" with every ounce of joy in her body.  It makes you feel good on the receiving end, for sure.  If we could all be as uninhibited as children are, just occasionally, wouldn't we feel so much better?  I think, yes.




Little things like Quinn's new "smile for the camera pose" make me laugh.


Declan likes us to fight for his kisses.  If we ask him for a kiss, he'll give us his cheek. Then we have to convince him to kiss us instead.  He's a pretty big fan of this game. 
Then, in the wee hours of the morning, when he crawls into bed with us, he kisses me over and over and whispers "I love you mommy, you so cozy and warm."  He will always make me melt.



He couldn't pause from stuffing his face with bread, long enough to take a picture with me...

Little things like Fall Festivals, make me happy. Farm Credit sponsored this event, so we all went and the kids had so much fun.  They are big fans of any event. I'm pretty sure it's their excitement that makes me happier than the festival itself. 



Declan loves Uncle Lew. Here are just a few reasons why:
They both love animals.  They both love good food.  They both appreciate nature.  Uncle Lew will hold Declan, and Declan will love you unconditionally if you hold him.  Declan's fireman's hat kept falling off and Uncle Lew magically, in the middle of a horse farm, found string, punched holes in the hat, strung the string through and made the hat "fit."  Declan has a sixth sense about people, I'm almost positive. He just loves good people.


How great are little things like a school bus turned farmers market?  This school bus was completely transformed into a traveling market and I think that's pretty amazing.
(And I'm crazy, because I failed to take an actual picture of the bus. But trust me, it was pretty awesome.)


Ryan was working at the pumpkin painting booth. 
This bin of pumpkins babysat Quinn for a little bit. 
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
 She was really tired. I was desperate.



This was day 2 of face painting. Yesterday, the kids also had their face's painted (by a professional). Today, their faces were painted by random girls that volunteered.  They were very sweet to donate their time and in all seriousness, they were there for hours, kneeling on gravel, painting face after face.  Just remember these pictures when I post Part 2 tomorrow.  Miss Rock Star "I look like I am a 13 year old that just got my make-up done, and Mr Random Animal that "chose a bunny, but the girl was extremely uncomfortable copying a very pink bunny picture onto my face, so she got nervous and painted this odd animal" had an amazing face painting experience yesterday.  Just wait and you'll see what I mean tomorrow.

This was my purchase out of desperation. 
Wow, I sound desperate.
Kettle corn, which Quinn clearly loved as she shoved handfuls into her mouth.
When Quinn is hungry or tired (or bored, or hurt, or upset...) she wants to nurse. In the past, she would tell me she wanted to nurse, by literally flinging her body into a "nursing" position and just waiting for it to happen. Now, after much prompting from me to actually use a word to tell me she wants to nurse, she flung herself down into position, yelling "Nur! Nur!"  and all the while I was in the face painting line with Isabella and Declan. 
Enter Kettle Corn.
It worked.




Then there are little things that loudly remind me that my kids are growing up.  They wanted, actually asked, to do the pedal pull. Not that they knew what it was, but they saw mini tractors, and a track, and they were all for it.  I signed them up thinking that once they lined up and saw all of the people watching and realized they actually had to pull weights behind a pedaled tractor, they'd bow out. 
Hah.
They all won medals and trophies although Isabella thinks she actually won. She proudly wore her medal and modeled her trophy to anyone seeming remotely interested (or anyone that glanced in her direction).
These little things are the best things.

Part 2 tomorrow.  It's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment