Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Two years ago...

...I had just put my 17 month old little girl to bed, for the last time as an only child.

And then had a cocktail...

Orange juice and castor oil....

In hopes (well, begging, pleading, praying) to go into labor. I was reaching my "2 wk overdue" mark and needed to have Declan by the next day--or else-- I would lose my midwife and be turned over to the dr. So, the cocktail didn't work. 8 o'clock the next morning, my midwife broke my water and so began the 14 hr labor with my overdue, posterior, stubborn little boy that just didn't want to come out! Just two measly years ago. And could I ever imagine life without him? Absolutely not.




It's hard to believe that your life can change in an instant. I had Isabella who I fell completely in love with...wondering how'd I'd ever love another as much as I love her. Then as I pulled Declan into my arms and into this world, I remember saying "I love you, I love you so much." And I did. Just as much as her. And then I knew....no matter how many children you have, it's the same. You love them unlike anything or anyone you've loved before. They change your life. More importantly, they fill your life. Declan, my little lovey boy, the flirt, the stinker, the clown, the cuddler, kisser, hugger, silly face maker. Last year he was taking his first steps. Now, there's no stopping him.
He'll wake in the morning to an overly ecstatic sister (that loves anyone's birthday...and the chance for a party), a new train set, lots of love, hugs, kisses, and cuddles. And the beginning of another amazing year. I'll be sure to post about his cake later...I mentioned "dirt" and "tractor" and I'm being held (by Isabella and her elephant brain) to it. More to come...

On another note, mom and I took Isabella to the Visulite this evening to see the showing of "Beauty and the Beast." But not only that, but in sing-a-long form. So she got to listen to my lovely voice for an hour and a half, because who can resist singing along when the words are right there begging to be sun?. Although, I'll say, I'm not sure if she could hear me over the MBC girls a row back who were apparently IN LOVE with Beauty and the Beast. In love, I tell you.

This girl loves a night out on the town. Every time a new song began, I'm pretty sure she thought it meant the credits would start rolling and she'd anxiously look up: "Is it over already?" We got out at 8pm and she was still raring to go. And upon her insistence we had to, just had to, go to Kate's apartment. Hang out a little, and I still had to hear her repeat question once we hit the car: "Where are we going now, mommy?" "It's 9:00 at night Isabella, we're going home. To bed."


I've said it before. I'll say it again. Birthdays and Birth Days, make me just a little (or a lot) weepy. Weepy for the times they were so small and snuggly. The days where it was just me and a little one wrapped in my arms (wait a minute, we're still in those day...but anyway)...I want to go back. I always want to go back. To those first minutes, hours, and days. The smell and feel of that newborn skin. So new, so fresh, so innocent. Now I look at this two year old (almost) little boy and am totally floored by his changes in just 2 short years of life. I can't wait until tomorrow when he can finally eat his cake. Poor thing had to watch me (and the numerous steps it took) making his cake today and asking before and after each step: "Eat it now, mommy. Birthday?" He deserves it for breakfast!





No comments:

Post a Comment