With these fall-like mornings and evenings, I'm happy to report that I have forgiven our backyard for being so infested with gnats and mosquitos. They are dwindling, and for that, we are becoming re-acquainted with purple sand and lots of outdoor playtime.
In the morning, the kid's toys slowing begin to migrate to the back deck and by the end of the day it looks like our playroom exploded and landed there, outside, where they go in and out all day. Play-doh messes are much more desirable when they are outside.
She can pump her legs like it's nobody's business. She insists that she is, in fact, touching the roof as well as the tree tops and an occasional cloud that's passing by.
Who knew sand was all they needed? Declan and Quinn could play here all day. And although the purple sand was a fun treat from Grandma, it is a *bleep* to clean up. So, soon, we will replace the beautiful beach with regular old sand. I'm pretty sure they'll still find solace there.
Oops, wrong way.
Like I said last week, the highlight of the day is checking the coop for eggs. Luckily our hens are nice, and they lay twice a day, so we have two highlights in our day. And because they are really grateful for all the scraps we've been giving them, they've upped their production from one egg a day (that usually busted before we got in the house because two little hands wanted that one egg) to today, four eggs! And only two cracked by the time we got inside. Don't worry, I'm finding an egg basket this week.
I was taking a picture of this white chicken and Isabella popped over my shoulder and said "Mom! Don't just take pictures of the Nick's. Take some pictures of the Sally's." So they haven't changed their minds that all white chickens go by Nick and all red chickens go by Sally. We're pretty creative over here.
Quinn and her posse. That big white rooster back there...that's the one. If I'm not watching her, that's the one she goes for. And he may look a little short in this picture, but that dude is big. And she is not afraid of him at all.
I'm still unsure of where this last year went. And why on earth my one year old baby doesn't look so baby-ish any more...
This one on the other hand, pretty sure he's still my baby. He'll be three soon and that's also pretty hard to believe.
Quinn's latest attempt: jump like my brother and sister. She tries hard and it is so darn cute.
Kelly, mom, and I took the 'big kids' (Quinn stayed home for a daddy date) to Crozet Pizza on Friday night. They got to watch the guys spinning the dough and making the pizza. Needless to say, they were all pretty happy. Especially this guy:
And as if that wasn't enough. Mia suggested ice cream and DQ was the only place in town. So mini blizzards it was. And the amount of ice cream in their cups blew their mind. Just as much as it blew mine that they couldn't finish it. Thank goodness.
They enjoyed their "M&M lizzards." Sounds appetizing, huh?
This lovely weather also brought about a nice, relaxing weekend. After our failed attempt at canning tomatoes on Thursday night, Saturday we froze the five dozen ears of corn that Ryan picked up from a local farmer, and that feat was definitly successful. Mom and Ryan created their own little system and I'm pretty sure they both will be ordering more corn before the season is over.
We had a lazy Sunday. By which I mean, not lazy at all because there are three kids that live here, but we didn't have anywhere to be, nothing pressing to do, and there was a lot of time to play outside, run in sprinklers, eat on the deck, take bubble baths in the evening only to go back outside to play some more. Definitly the weekend we needed.
Did you know that you have to hold your breath while running through the sprinkler? I didn't.
It's one of those picture illusions. Can you tell where her hair ends and his begins?
Pure four-year-old joy.
This was after 15 minutes of refusal to get in the sprinkler because her "princess bathing suit might get wet and then I can't wear it all day long and to bed if it's soaking wet!!!!" I reminded her that we have a dryer and we proceeded from there.
Perfect day for drying diapers and wipes. And taking inventory of toys that need to go.... Anyone want that pink slide thing?
Quinn plays with her hair when she's tired. When she curls up in my lap to nurse, her fingers immediately go to her hair and she rubs her head until her eyes can no longer stay open. Today was the first time that I saw her become visibly tired and as a result, start twirling her hair. Pretty cute. And pretty sad that I never see her get visibly tired.
Tractors in the sprinkler. I could talk about what our backyard looked like today, but I won't.
At this point in time. At these ages. These kids wear me out. Good night.

No comments:
Post a Comment