About a year or two ago, mom told me that we should really just surround ourselves with things that bring us joy. Joy: the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying. To which she quickly added, "that's why I surround myself with my family; my grandbabies. And it was then that I had a shift in my life. A shift that had me eliminating the things that brought me down and concentrating on things that brought me joy. Because who doesn't want to be around something or someone exceptionally good?
I saw the joy in Isabella and Declan with something as simple as walking up and down the street, knocking on doors, saying "trick or treat," followed by a "happy hawoween" and "tank you." To then be followed by Declan picking a piece of candy out of his bucket, looking at me with those, quite literal, puppy dog eyes and saying "now, mama, now?" To which I replied "not yet, Declan. We have more houses to go to. Wait until we get home." He then dropped the candy back into the bucket and was ready for the next knock on the next door. (And I am not afraid to say that that whole scenario went WAY better than I anticipated). Last year we couldn't even get off of the stoop before someone was trying to shove candy in their mouth!
Another day of festivity. Enjoying Taylor's fabulous dinner of sweet potato soup and delicious sandwiches. Kelly continuing the tradition of mom's monster mash. And the kids just happy to be together. This is Joy.
How easy it is to take for granted, the joy in our lives. I watched a terrible, yet inspiring Oprah show the other day. A couple had lost all three of their children in a horrible car accident, only to be blessed a year later, with triplets. Miracle. But that wasn't the point. For me, the point was that we have to find joy in the everyday. The days where our kids drive us up the wall. The days when we can't bear to hear any more arguing, yelling, crying. The days where we want to hide away (even if it's in the bathroom!) for a second to regroup. But then to even fathom a day where I was missing those things is just not in my realm of understanding. Hearing stories like the one I did on Friday, reels me back in. Puts my life in perspective. Ryan and I are here, having these three little babies to love and protect, because this was our decision. When I became pregnant with each of these little miracles, I decided to put my all into raising them and doing everything in my power to teach them, love them, treasure them, learn from them, protect them, and adore them with everything I have.
And that, I do.
I adore them.
The joy they bring to me every morning when I turn over and see Quinn stretch, peek open one eye and give me the biggest grin you'd ever wish for. When I hear Declan on the monitor, mumbling in his morning voice, "mommy, moooommyy, moooooommmmmmyyyy." And when Isabella reaches over, and says "mommy, can you just face me, lay with me now." Each morning, I know to expect the same thing, and each morning I really need to be thankful that these three bodies, these three voices, have chosen us to be their parents. They give us the greatest gift of all. They have shown me a love beyond my comprehension. And for that, I experience the ultimate joy every single day.
I saw that Oprah, too. Who am I kidding? I tivo Oprah every day but that show was amazing! You're right...it definitely puts your whole life in perspective! LOVE the costumes! :)
ReplyDelete