Saturday, October 16, 2010

Please don't Glitter

Declan and cousin Eleanor loving on eachother.

About 6 months ago, Isabella and I were outside...I can't remember where...but I distinctly remember her talking about the glitter on the ground. Confused? I was. There wasn't any glitter to be seen. But she insisted it was there. On the plastic bottles, on the old paper, on the used dixie cup. What? She then proceeded to tell me that we shouldn't glitter "right?" We should put our trash in the trash can.
Get it yet?




Yep, she calls littering, "glittering." But even cooler, she gets it. Even when you think you're just talking nonsense. Kids are paying attention to anything but what you're saying...not true. Isabella is my "sponge" child. Let me tell you, she soaks it ALL up. We have to be really careful. She can be 20 ft away, fully engaged in feeding, changing, and dressing her baby, telling Declan what to do, singing "You are my Sunshine" to Quinn, and she can still repeat back to you the conversation you just had with the other person in the room. Scary.

So on the note of being "green." The other night, we were in the bathroom brushing teeth and getting ready for bed. On the way out of the bathroom, Isabella made a mad dash for the playroom. I said "Isabella, wrong way babe, it's time for bed." She promptly informed me that she was going to save "uluctrecity." (Did I spell that right?) So every time I tell her to turn off the bathroom light, turn off the bedroom light, turn off the living room light, and she asks "why?" She's totally listening.




It's a scary world that we bring our children into. I try hard to instill some sense of appreciation for our great earth. We cloth diaper and Isabella can still point out diapers that Declan or Quinn have worn or are wearing, that are the same diapers she wore. She knows that the diapers go in the machine, not in the trash. She and Declan know how to put the cans, paper, and glass in the recycling bins (and crushing cans is the Best. Thing. Ever). To them, grocery bags are in our trunk and we have to "remind mommy to bring them into the store!!"




I never understood people who said that they didn't want to bring children into this world that is being destroyed by it's population. I totally get it now though. If I think too hard, I feel really bad for some of the things that we do that will directly affect my children's future on this earth. I want so badly for them to appreciate what we are given and to take care of it so that it will be here when they have children and grandchildren.




I can pretty much gaurantee that the kid's will at least *taste* a fruit or vegetable if we RAVE about how "so and so" grew it in their garden! That makes vegetables so much cooler!




It's a work in progress. It always will be.
But if my kids notice glitter on the ground, then I'll keep on trying.




1 comment: